Re: Ticket Machines in Melbourne - Again

Peter Charles Tonoli wrote:
> : All stations equipped with barriers should have at least one open gate
> : to accommodate customers with non-Metcard tickets, wheelchair, pram,
> : group travel, etc.
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of having barriers to platforms
> when there are open barriers to avoid the ticket activated ones?

Normally at a station with barriers, the open one is meant to be
staffed,
to check the tickets. I say *meant* to be, at many stations they
usually aren't. The London Underground has a similar system - one
staffed gate available for people who can't get through the automatic
gate for some reason, eg luggage, faulty ticket etc. Difference is
it is kept shut, and only opened manually by the staff member.

In busy stations extra staff also carry specially coded tickets to
open any gate, in case your ticket fails.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Custard Communications Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia