Re: ARTC Vic Train Control

In article <79ggt2$2ao$5@news.mel.aone.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: ARTC Vic Train Control
>Date: 6 Feb 1999 04:36:50 GMT

>Maurie Daly (mauried@commslab.gov.au) wrote:
>> Because a driver on SG entering the SG line at Tottenham has to be absolutely
>> sure that there isnt a conflicting movement , ie he has to know that there is
>> no possibility of an up SG train leaving Manor Loop.
>> You could theoretically get a red over green from the down end of No 1 road at
>> Totty Loop if there was a train approaching manor Loop with an authority to
>> continue on .

>The problem with ARTC using ASW on the goods line is that you couldn't
>allow a BG train to depart Tottenham B to Newport just after a SG train
>had left Manor Loop. The BG train would be well clear of Newport before
>the SG train was anywhere near there.

>Also, if the Tottenham B - Manor Loop section is "occupied", you couldn't
>allow a BG train to depart Tottenham and run on the West Line from
>Brooklyn to Newport.

>Cheers
>David

Absolutely correct , and it begs the obvious question .
Why dont we simply run all the BG trains on the west line , and leave the East
line for SG trains only , ie is there so much BG traffic between Brooklyn and
Newport that BG trains just have to run on both the East and West lines.
This way , the only common bits are the loop from Brooklyn to
Tottenham , and the back road thru Newport.
Cant do much about either of those.

If the points at Brooklyn are spiked to only allow BG trains to travel via the
BG line and SG trains only via the Dual Guage line , then we can treat both
the lines as totally separate with a pair of grade crossings at both ends ,
ie treat the dual guage line from Totty Loop to Brooklyn as a very long grade
crossing.
This way the actual amount of time that any train is running on the common
bits is minimised.
It still needs a better form of Safeworking for both BG and SG , ideally some
form of ATC or even something ancient like LLTC.

MD