Re: Suggested Australian train journeys during a 3-week vacation?

gordon wrote:

> If you are coming with only 3 weeks then you would be better off

I have mooderated my travel plans a bit.  Here is my proposed schedule
(showing where I'll stay, not where I'll have excursion *from* those
places).  All dates in March.

2. Arrive Sydney at noon.
5. Train to Canberra
6. Fly to Devonport (via Melbourne)
8. Bus to Hobart
9. Fly to Adelaide (via Melbourne)
9. Board the Indian Pacific to Perth
11. Arrival Perth in the morning
12/13. Fly to Alice Springs
16. Take The Ghan to Adelaide
17/18. Train? to Melbourne
22. Fly to Darwin and then home.

A few train questions before I book:

- The Indian Pacific from Kalgoorlie to Perth is at night.  Is it
  worth the trouble getting off and taking The Prospector the next
  morning?  In other words: is this part interesting enough that I
  should take it in daylight?  At the cost of some time in Perth...

- The Overland from Adelaide to Melbourne is at night, and might be
  practical.  Bu there also a day train: the V/Line Daylink.  Is this
  recommended (worth spending a day for)?

--
Bjørn P. Munch                 http : //www.clustra.com/~bjornmu/
Bjoern.Munch@clustra.no