Suggested Australian train journeys during a 3-week vacation?

Hello,

I'm going to Australia for the first three weeks of March.  I'll visit
different parts fo the country, and I'd like to do some of my travel
by train.  Which routes would you recommend (for scenery and comfort)?

Also, in which direction should I travel (if it makes a difference)?

I'm considering these in particular:

  The Ghan
  Indian Pacific, or parts of it
  Perth-Kalgoorlie ("The Prospector")
  Brisbane-Cairns
  Sydney-Melbourne

And also some short ones, like Cairns-Kuranda and Sydney-Canberra.

I have more or less decided for The Ghan at least, but not in which
direction.

Should I hurry up with my reservations?  Are the trains more likely to
be full on weekends?

Looking forward to any suggestions/tips, including lines I haven't
mentioned here.  And of course, I look forward to my vacation!

--
Bjørn P. Munch                 http : //www.clustra.com/~bjornmu/
Bjoern.Munch@clustra.no