Re: Suggested Australian train journeys during a 3-week vacation?

I would do the following (you did not say where you were flying into, so I
am presuming Sydney).

Bjorn P. Munch wrote in message <36B6C91E.36882F9D@clustra.no>...

  The Ghan
  Indian Pacific, or parts of it
  Perth-Kalgoorlie ("The Prospector")
  Brisbane-Cairns
  Sydney-Melbourne

And also some short ones, like Cairns-Kuranda and Sydney-Canberra.

Sydney - Canberra (Xplorer train)
Xplorer back to Goulburn, then Daylight XPT to Melbourne.
Overland from Melbourne to Adelaide
Indian Pacific to Perth
Prospector to Kalgoorlie
Indian Pacific to Adelaide
Ghan to Alice Springs
Own means to Mount Isa
Inlander to Townsville
Sunlander to Cairns
Kuranda train
Queenslander to Brisbane
Own means to Sydney (after travelling on the XPT to Melbourne, you will
appreciate me not recommending catching it from Brisbane to Sydney)

I would also recommend day trips to the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra out
of Sydney and also to the Dandenongs out of Melbourne

David "The Doctor" Proctor
http://derek.jenkins.net/ozemail/index.html

Murphy's First Law: Nothing is as easy as it looks.