Re: Interesting Occurance

That happened here in 1994 or 1995, Michael. There was a sudden surge in level
crossing accidents, and the Police realised that compliance with the rules had
sunk unacceptably. So one Saturday they put a cop in the cab of every train
running over the central North Island (actually Palmerston North to Taumarunui, I
think). Anyway, we were treated to a graphic account on television news by a
Police Inspector of his experience as a 44 truck and trailer rig crashed through
the half-arm barriers at Waiouru, just in front of the train.

"The driver of the truck claimed he could not stop" growled the cop, "but I am
not having a bar of that story........"

Things have improved since then, although in my view there are still too many
crossing accidents.

Bill