Re: Independent Review of Rail Safety Arrangements in Australia

"John Kerley" <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
Uz1a4.4089$n23.14282@ozemail.com.au">news:Uz1a4.4089$n23.14282@ozemail.com.au...

> Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> 847tdk$2tg7$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:847tdk$2tg7$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> >
> > Notagunzel <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > m%I94.76$Ad1.6748@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:m%I94.76$Ad1.6748@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> > > Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> > > 845ckv$2i2r$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:845ckv$2i2r$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> > >
> > With the Ararat disaster, we have an example of what happens when the
> additional checks have been removed and where just one error, opening the
> points without the section authority, caused an accident which could have
> been many times worse if it  had been a passenger train ploughing into 800
> tons of ballast.
>
> That there is no form of interlocking between releasing the key for the
> points and the issuing of the section authority, in this an electrical
> release by the train controller, in my view verges on the criminally
> negligent.  Alternatively, measures such as providing home signals
detected
> through plunger locked points, such as I noted at Hattah on this year's
> Steamrail trip to Mildura would provide the necessary protection.
>
> The current rampage of designalling stations and destaffing stations and
> trains, hence placing all the responsibility on the human frailty of one
> person, will ensure the Ararat is just one of many disasters to come.
>
> Rail travel in Victoria, indeed in Australia, has become much less safe
> under the rule of the "economic rationalists".
>
> Not so cheerful,
>
> John Kerley
>

> Spot on John
It seems in alot of cases that the responsible authorities treat
designalling as if each scenario means that that particular line is
knackered and it will only be a matter of time before it closes hence only
minamal protection is required.I can understand where they are coming
from,Traffic branch told them what was required and how much they have to
spend on un neccessary items like safe working.
 This close down mentallity has been entrenched for years now, and along
comes private enterprise that wants work and will go out and get it,which
makes for a very dangerous working enviroment for all concerned, ie systems
in place in some locations are not designed to accomodate higher traffic
densities, so band aid measures are taken to increase availability rather
than a logical assesment of the whole system.
It really is a sad thing that the integrity of the Melbourne-Adelaide
corridor comes down to a key kept in box on a wall in Arrarat,which
apparently just about any Tom,Dick,or train examiner can remove,so he can
play trains.
Graeme