Re: Independent Review of Rail Safety Arrangements in Australia

Notagunzel <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
m%I94.76$Ad1.6748@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:m%I94.76$Ad1.6748@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> 845ckv$2i2r$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:845ckv$2i2r$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> > John Kerley <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > jBk94.2700$n23.9002@ozemail.com.au">news:jBk94.2700$n23.9002@ozemail.com.au...

 <snip>

> > Actually I don't recall ever hearing of a train entering a ST&T section
> > without the "Acre" being received, (It may have happened but it is so
rare
> > that I can't recall it ever happening in my 37 year on the job)!!!
>
> Gee you don't get around much...|-)

Probably a lot more than you mate???

Maybe I only listen to facts not rumors???

> Hillside managed to send a spark on the up from Hurstbridge without
anything a while ago, and another railway has big problems with ACRE
messages. (but I've already said to much)

Maybe you have?

Whilst I don't know the facts, it sounds like the human element not the Acre
message was at fault.

The question of the need to provide or not provide a person to protect the
rear of a train on the TS&T System was the point, that the Rules have been
written to cover this, ie: No follow on moves until Line Clear has been
received since DOO and Twoman Operation (No Notice of Trains Ahead or Time
Interval).

As I've said several times, no matter what the system, no matter what safe
guards, the human element is the facture that usually breaks down. But if
they wrote rules to cover every possibility, trains would never move.

I recall a few years ago (about September 1981) I was running an Up Ballarat
Goods (via Geelong) towards Lara, when the auto signal in advance went from
GREEN to RED, I stopped, was about to move off, when the 2020 Up Geelong
Pass hit me in the rear at about 50km/h, he had a Proceed indication on the
Auto, (a wrong side failure, human error). The fact that a train hit my
train whilst I should have been protected by the signal concerned me a lot,
but it didn't destroy my faith in the system, I still pass signals that show
proceed, in the faith that the signals are working OK, likewise, when the
Signalman gives me the Train Staff or Train Staff Ticket, I enter the
section with the knowledge that the section is clear and that he has
received the required authority  to allow me to do so. If I couldn't do that
I would give the job away.

Bob.