Re: Safeworking Rules.

nobody <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
3867d3a7@pink.one.net.au">news:3867d3a7@pink.one.net.au...
> Uhm the general differences between the road signal and the railway signal
> are:
>
> Rail signals detect trains by an electric circuit, while road detects cars
> by weight;
>
> A road signal only need operate at an intersection, designed to get as
many
> cars moving as it can, A rail signal is designed for one train at a time;
>
> When a road signal fails, it usually goes blank, and there is a "stop"
sign
> or something similar for use in this case or police on duty;
>
> I dont think rail should have any breach of rules in this area because
> trains can not swerve if a mistake has been made. If a signal fails, There
> should be nothing going past it until it is fixed, or the communication
> should be totally clear.
>
> Isnt it amazing how many accidents on both road and rail happen when
signals
> are disobeyed?
>
> Brendan

So the world stops because a light goes out!!!!

The current Commuter rail systems would soon loose all their dwindling
traffic if this philosophy took hold.

Could you imagine for how long people would tolerate: "Sorry all trains on
the #@*%! Line have been cancelled until a signal fitter can arrive to
replace a blow fuse etc. Or a driver announced to his passengers "There will
be a 2 hour delay because a signal ahead (for the section he can see is
clear) is defective".

There has to be provisions in all operating Rules for failures, yes they
must be safe provisions, but never-the-less, provisions must be there, to
suggest anything less only proves a lack of knowledge of railway operation.

Bob.