Re: Safeworking Rules.

In article <83li8s$5m2$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au> writes:
>From: "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Safeworking Rules.
>Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 02:36:36 +1100

>> Before a proceed order may be issued to a driver to pass signal XXX at
>stop
>> the following procedures MUST be followed.
>>
>> 1/ If it is beleived that signal XXX has failed , a qualified fitter MUST
>> examine the signal, interlocking equipment, motor points if any and
>> provide a written signed report confirming that the signal has failed.
>>
>> You get the idea.
>>
>> MD
>You sure you are not tied up with a Trucking Consortium Maurie? [ ;o) ]
>A failed Auto in the North East will cost a train a lot of time, depending
>on the distance to travel, and if any other autos are failed as well!
>A failed Home Signal will cost you even more time!
>The system works very well, and training will eliminate accidents just as
>well.
>Having a fitter attend a signal might close down the system for a very long
>time, and if he is recalled to duty, you might introduce further problems,
>such as was discovered on the Geelong Line some years ago, when a train at
>115 kph was put through a 40 kph crossover, when signals were connected to
>the wrong relays. The fitter had been on duty, including emergency call outs
>for 20 hours!
>Rod

NO Im not a trucker Rod.
What worries me is that we seem to be accepting the situation that failed
signals are the norm , and that issuing authorities to pass failed signals are
the norm.
Id be worried if I were continously coming up to failed signals and getting
authorities to pass them.
Failed signals should be a rare exception,and in this case we could dispense
with the rule simply it wouldnt happen very often.

In the trucking case we dont have any sort of rule which allows truckers to go
thru traffic lights when they are red, even if the lights have failed , even
with the most extreme caution.
Its simply taken that the risk grossly outweighs the benefit.
In practice however its not a problem because traffic lights rarely fail and
when they do they are promptly fixed.
No reason why the same cant apply to Rail signals .

MD