Re: Safeworking Rules.

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> What worries me is that we seem to be accepting the situation that failed
> signals are the norm

On any system as large and distributed as most Australian rail
systems, there is likely to be a failed signal somewhere at any point
in time, so in that sense, some failed signals are "the norm".

> and that issuing authorities to pass failed signals are
> the norm.

Ditto.

> Failed signals should be a rare exception,

In any one area yes, but not systemically.

> and in this case we could dispense with the rule simply it wouldnt happen
> very often.

No.

> In the trucking case we dont have any sort of rule which allows truckers to go
> thru traffic lights when they are red, even if the lights have failed , even
> with the most extreme caution.

None the less, that is demonstrably what happens when it becomes clear
to all concerned that the traffic signals have failed.

> In practice however its not a problem because traffic lights rarely fail

Across the state, sets of traffic lites certainly do fail with some
regularity due to a variety of circumstances.

> No reason why the same cant apply to Rail signals .

It does, its they are.

Cheers,

Bill