Re: Did the 9:57 reach Lithgow?

I am not sure if anyone has actually posted the reason for this incident
actually happening.

I understand that it was caused by the Signaller at Granville (a female, as an
aside) inputting the incorrect information into the train describer.  I
understand that the InterCity was following a Richmond service, but, due to some
maintenance work being undertaken, and only one track being open between
Parramatta / Westmead and Blacktown, the InterCity was due to run through the
Suburban at Parramatta / Westmead.  I understand that she forgot that fact.  As
a result, when the InterCity service came up on the panel at Blacktown, it was
being described as the Richmond, and was dealt with accordingly.

However, that does raise the question, that has been asked before, why the
driver of the InterCity didn't challenge the road on the approach to Blacktown,
when surely he would have realized that he was going somewhere a little strange.

I believe that there was never ever a safety or other problem, and it was merely
an error on the part of the Granville Signaller.

--

Regards

David Donald
Springwood, NSW