Re: Did the 9:57 reach Lithgow?

David & Julie Donald wrote in message <385AACBF.CA4D27F4@hermes.net.au>...

>However, that does raise the question, that has been asked before, why the
>driver of the InterCity didn't challenge the road on the approach to
Blacktown,
>when surely he would have realized that he was going somewhere a little
strange.

Apparently, the driver did query the signals, but, the story goes, the
signaller was unable to change the route that was already set.

This is strange. If he had pulled up close to Seven Hills or somewhere on
the flyover, surely they should have been able to reset the signals and
points near the signal box at Blacktown, even if they had to time out and
wait a few minutes. The train could then have been routed into Platform 3
(the first train to use it, I would imagine).

Dave