Re: A burning question. was > Re: Indian Pacific hits freight train - Who's the Responsible Investigating body?

In the 1950,s a very similar accident happened on the Santa Fe when a mail
train was put away to let a Super Chief pass and the switchman for reasons
unknown threw the switch just as the Chief approached the switch. The only
difference was that the Chief was doing 80 mph and the resulting crash
killed a number of passengers and train staff. A story on it was in Trains
magazine within the last 12 months. I thought in Australia manual points
should be clipped when passenger trains pass to prevent such occurrences?

Cheers
RJG