Re: truck mass increase (VIC)

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.990901020536.17336B-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> Andrei Souprounovich <s9505836@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> writes:
>Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 02:39:53 +1100
>From: Andrei Souprounovich <s9505836@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au>
>Subject: truck mass increase (VIC)

>Just further to the truck topic:

>July saw the publication in the Government Gazette by Vicroads of a
>general permit allowing increased masses for trucks.
>-Regulations
>steer axle 6 tonnes
>steer axle 6.7 tonnes (Road Train nominated and registered prime
>mover)
>1 axle 9 tonnes
>2 axle 16.5 tonnes
>3 axle 20 tonnes
>-New limits under general permit
>2 axle 17 tonnes (with airbags)
>3 axle 22.5 tonnes (with airbags)

>thus totals are
>3 axle rigid goes from 22.5t to 23t
>normal prime-mover/semi-trailer combo goes from 42.5t to 45.5t
>normal b-double goes from  62.5t to 69t
>and with RT's (not running here yet) from 79t to 85t

>These are allowable only for travel on roads that are the responsibility
>of Vicroads, ie main roads, state highways and freeways (with a few
>exceptions, where the bridges can't handle the extra weight). We'll see if
>operators venture onto council roads. :-)

>Looking at the Commonwealth Government Gazette, one sees that similar
>notices were published in SA and QLD, while the Commonwealth gave
>permission for these increased limits for Federal Interstate registered
>trucks on NSW federally funded highways.

>Wishful thinking : we'll see prices of consumer goods drop through the
>floor as transport becomes more efficient and these reductions get passed
>onto us.  This effect should be increased with the cut in diesel excise.

>Andrei

Thanks for this info Andrei, I knew that the road trains were about to hit ,
but not this quickly.
Your right though there wont be any drop in prices to you and me , just greater
profitability for the trucking companies and worse still , more bloody trucks
as more truckies enter the market.
If rail cant get its act together very quickly , like in a couple of years,
then rail is finished, apart from the coal trains .

cheers
MD