truck mass increase (VIC)

Just further to the truck topic:

July saw the publication in the Government Gazette by Vicroads of a
general permit allowing increased masses for trucks.
-Regulations
steer axle 6 tonnes
steer axle 6.7 tonnes (Road Train nominated and registered prime
mover)
1 axle 9 tonnes
2 axle 16.5 tonnes
3 axle 20 tonnes
-New limits under general permit
2 axle 17 tonnes (with airbags)
3 axle 22.5 tonnes (with airbags)

thus totals are
3 axle rigid goes from 22.5t to 23t
normal prime-mover/semi-trailer combo goes from 42.5t to 45.5t
normal b-double goes from  62.5t to 69t
and with RT's (not running here yet) from 79t to 85t

These are allowable only for travel on roads that are the responsibility
of Vicroads, ie main roads, state highways and freeways (with a few
exceptions, where the bridges can't handle the extra weight). We'll see if
operators venture onto council roads. :-)

Looking at the Commonwealth Government Gazette, one sees that similar
notices were published in SA and QLD, while the Commonwealth gave
permission for these increased limits for Federal Interstate registered
trucks on NSW federally funded highways.

Wishful thinking : we'll see prices of consumer goods drop through the
floor as transport becomes more efficient and these reductions get passed
onto us.  This effect should be increased with the cut in diesel excise.

Andrei