Re: Road trains in VIC was The final Nail in FV's Coffin!

Andrei Souprounovich <s9505836@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
Pine.SOL.3.96.990901011418.17336A-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au">news:Pine.SOL.3.96.990901011418.17336A-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au...
: On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Brian Evans wrote:
: > Road Trains for Victoria!
: >
: > The legalisation of road trains in Victoria is a step closer today with
the
: > State Government considering a trial of the vehicles on the State's
roads.
: >
: > Victoria is the only State that does not allow road trains, which are
two
: > semi-trailers attached to a prime mover.
:
: It's interesting to hear that the government are now trialling
: road-trains.  The regulations were amended a little while ago. Here are
: the details.
:
: The Road Safety Act 1986 was amended on 1 May 1999, so that 2 trailer Road
: Trains are no longer illegal in Victoria. 3-trailer R-T's are still
: illegal.
:
<Big Snip>

: One might assume that there are 3 areas that road trains would be allowed
: to run.
:
: -On routes that continue into Victoria from interstate road train routes,
: till one hits hilly country, on roads that are essentially one lane in
: each direction. For example: from regions west of a line running from
: Tocumwal to Dubbo and Bogabilla/Goondiwindi (Newell Hwy) in NSW. SA
: doesn't have any road train routes leading to the Victorian border.

I wonder how the road trains are going to get in and out of Mexico.
Here in NSW Road trains are only permitted to run between the rear trailer
drop off point just north of Dubbo, up the Newell to the Windie and then
directly north to Dalby where they have to drop off the rear trailer if
heading east.

Road trains are allowed west of the Newell on designated routes in the North
West. Road trains are not allowed south of Dubbo on the Newell. They are not
allowed on the Pacific, the New England, the Hume or the south coast road.
Three trailers are I think allowed north of Bourke and west of Roma in Qld.
I don't think they are allowed to Broken Hill.

As far as I know, NSW is not at this stage going to change the areas of
operation for road trains, though there was some rumblings a year or so ago
about allowing them to traverse the entire route of the Newell. At this
stage Road Trains don't go anywhere near Victoria.
:
: -The other area that they might be allowed to run, is where B-triples are
: currently allowed to operate. This means Geelong to Wodonga via Princes
: hwy, W.ring road,Hume hwy;Deer Park(Melb) to Ballarat via Western hwy; and
: Dandenong(Melb) to Latrobe Valley via Princes Hwy.
:
:
: Hope this helps
:
: Andrei
: (Hughesdale VIC)
:
Gavin Potter.
e-mail:
(home)  gavpot@ozemail.com.au
(work)   gavin.potter@agric.nsw.gov.au
or check out:
 http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gavpot
"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.