Re: New CityRail rolling stock

The latest issue of the online Transit Monthly lists the following details
for the 4gt:

"The trains will be built by Granville based manufacturers Clyde Engineering
at a cost of $220 million, 81 carriages will be in service by 2001 and a
further 120 over following years.

These will provide 20 new trains to service the metropolitian area."

I wonder where they will store these extra carriages?

I suppose when we get a change in government, the order for additional
trains will be cancelled.

bye tr

Bob <alco@acay.com.au> wrote in message
37AA92F0.A632CD45@acay.com.au">news:37AA92F0.A632CD45@acay.com.au...
> The contract signed by Clyde is for 80 cars. There are no spare cars to be
built
> in this contract. The $4m figure is money that was used to refurbish
Cardiff
> Workshops as a part of that contract. Also I can confirm that Cityrail
will only
> pay for each set as it is accepted into service and not before. If they
are
> unhappy with the sets they will go back to the manufacturer untill they
get it
> right. I guess they got well and truely bitten with the Tangara contract.
Also
> it is likeley that cars of a similar design may be built for Bayside
trains at
> cardiff as shells and finished off at Somerton in Victoria.
> Cheers
> Bob
>
> trendy rechauffé wrote:
>
> > In the August Railway Digest, there is a news item stating the
Government is