Re: Cityrail fare rises suck

>That's where car pooling comes in.  Driver+3 passengers = $21.50 per
person,
>which is definitely cheaper than a weekly.  Now all you have to do is find
>three people that live near your route to work.

The problem there is you're back to the inflexibility that is used against
public transport. What if one person wants to go home at a different time or
works different hours, etc? Plus you will probably need to deviate for at
least one and possibly all 3. And what if one is late (which will happen I
am sure). In Sydney with it's appalling traffic, that adds time. Not to
mention your chances of finding 3 others and the time taken to do so. At
least with public transport, you have the flexibility of a train or bus on a
regular basis (unless you live in a private bus area according to western
suburbs posters earlier in this and other threads - and in Melbourne too
although most of our private buses finish around 7pm-7.30pm).

So we're back to where we started with longer time taken than driving
yourself and inflexible transport. The only benefit from car pooling is it
is probably more comfortable than a Sydney train.