Re: !!Quarry Trains

Reece Isaac wrote:

> Michael Kurkowski wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
>
> > Regarding directions, down is usually referred to as heading away from the
> > city, or central point. up is referred to as heading toward the city or
> > central point. Or something along those lines - Maybe someone can clarify.
> >
> > Basically however, in this case, you are looking at these examples:
> >
> > Flinders St to Broadmeadows, would be referred to as a DOWN service.
> > Broadmeadows to Flinders St, would be referred to as an UP service.
> >
> > Flinders St to Frankston, is a DOWN service.
> > Frankston to Flinders St is an UP service.
> >
> > That is my understanding of it anyway, hope it helps.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael
> >
> Yes I was told much the same thing using the example of a spider walking
> to the centre of its web.  But that's all gone out the window with thru.
> goods trains now.  The train that originates a Morwell has a down
> Geelong line  TD number even thru it's an up train till it gets to
> Flinders Street.  Trains from Bendigo to Geelong have a down Geelong
> line TD number even thru they are on the up line to Melb (Tottenham)
> The same in reverse applies to Geelong Bendigo trains which have a Down
> Bendigo TD number even thru they are up to Tottenham. It save changing
> the TD number in the TTB radio but it makes a farce of the 'UP/DOWN'
> label.
> Reece.

The train numbering is along the lines of the American railroads where the
trains are frequently given "names" denoting origin, destination and even type
of traffic. In Vic, the numbers are similar so that when a train starts out from
its origin it is given the number that relates to its destination, i.e. trains
bound for the NE region are numbered _3__.

As for discussing up and down directions, I can't believe that I'm reading that.
Or is this a sign of the times and that simple must know things are being
ignored. Before I even opened my mouth and revealed that I might know something
about trains, I knew which way Up and Down was.

David Langley.