Re: !!Quarry Trains

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Hi,

> Regarding directions, down is usually referred to as heading away from the
> city, or central point. up is referred to as heading toward the city or
> central point. Or something along those lines - Maybe someone can clarify.
>
> Basically however, in this case, you are looking at these examples:
>
> Flinders St to Broadmeadows, would be referred to as a DOWN service.
> Broadmeadows to Flinders St, would be referred to as an UP service.
>
> Flinders St to Frankston, is a DOWN service.
> Frankston to Flinders St is an UP service.
>
> That is my understanding of it anyway, hope it helps.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Yes I was told much the same thing using the example of a spider walking
to the centre of its web.  But that's all gone out the window with thru.
goods trains now.  The train that originates a Morwell has a down
Geelong line  TD number even thru it's an up train till it gets to
Flinders Street.  Trains from Bendigo to Geelong have a down Geelong
line TD number even thru they are on the up line to Melb (Tottenham)
The same in reverse applies to Geelong Bendigo trains which have a Down
Bendigo TD number even thru they are up to Tottenham. It save changing
the TD number in the TTB radio but it makes a farce of the 'UP/DOWN'
label.
Reece.