Re: Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe

In <7g6od2$5cf$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "David Proctor" <daproc@spam_this.umpires.com> writes:

>No - at Bondi Junction, the relay driver jumps in the front, and slowly
>drives the train forward. The driver who drove the train in then jumps in
>the back cab, stays there until it gets into the siding, then drives back to
>the platform, where the relief driver jumps out and takes the next train.

>I have often commented that it would be better for the relay driver to take
>THAT train out on its run, and the incoming driver takes the NEXT train out
>on its run, etc.

True, but that could make things difficult since it would mean that if some
trains were delayed, lots of drivers would be off their diagrams, whereas
the current system with 'captive' relay drivers prevents that.

>The reason I have been given is that this prevernts the train being turned
>around at Martin Place or Edgecliff if necessary.

In all honesty I have never heard of any electric train using that emergency
crossover at Edgecliff. 8-) I know track machines and locos on ballast
trains have though.

I'd say that the first pantograph would lose power trying to pull 1500 volts
thorugh the 20 years of accumulated gunk on the section insulator that spans
that crossover...

Also, when you say 'turned around' at Edgecliff or Martin Place, which
direction are you referring to? Do you mean turning trains back towards
Central from these locations, or back towards Bondi? I'm just asking because
the Edgecliff crossover allows for turning back both ways, but Martin Place
doesn't.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport