Re: Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe

'Twas a dark and stormy night on 25 Apr 1999 21:51:06 +1000 as
craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) took time out from the neverending quest to
rid the world of grues and wrote:

> >It must be frustrating for the drivers to have to change ends every time
> >they arrive at Lidcombe (every 20 minutes).  I imagine a better option would
> >be to have a person at each end of the train that can be driver or guard
> >depending upon the train's direction.  They would alternate roles each time
> >around the circuit.
>
> I'd agree with you, but the guards would call a demarkation dispute and a
> lot of drivers (especially the older ones) would probably protest as well,
> because it's exactly the sort of thing that exists in the Toronto (Canada)
> subway system with a driver at each end of the train who also acts as the
> 'guard' when the train is being driven from the other end.

The better way would be to have an extra driver waiting at the destination.
Train pulls in, he jumps in the rear car, driver who took the train in locks his
cabin etc, hops out and the other driver takes control.

The driver who hops out can them amble up to the other end of the platform at
his leisure to take control of the next train.

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1