Re: Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe

In <WqYT2.263$zn1.2823@nswpull.telstra.net> "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@hermes.net.au> writes:

>Passengers were using the Olympic Sprint Platform at Lidcombe today at about
>1220 in preparation for the ANZAC Rugby League match tonight.

>2 x 8 car S sets were operating a 10 minute headway yo-yo (more like round
>the earth with a yo-yo) service.  Operation appeared to be very smooth.

>It must be frustrating for the drivers to have to change ends every time
>they arrive at Lidcombe (every 20 minutes).  I imagine a better option would
>be to have a person at each end of the train that can be driver or guard
>depending upon the train's direction.  They would alternate roles each time
>around the circuit.

I'd agree with you, but the guards would call a demarkation dispute and a
lot of drivers (especially the older ones) would probably protest as well,
because it's exactly the sort of thing that exists in the Toronto (Canada)
subway system with a driver at each end of the train who also acts as the
'guard' when the train is being driven from the other end.

>This would also allow closer to a 15 minute cycle or a 7.5 minute headway
>with two trains.

The 'official' time to change ends on an 8 car set is 4 minutes, but in
reality it usually takes a bit longer, especially if the driver needs to
have a pee. 8-)

>Also a guard located in the last car of a train leaving Lidcombe would be a
>better and safer bet.  They can see/communicate with those passengers going
>for the train as they come through the "tunnel" from Lidcombe's number 1
>platform.

Again this is an award issue. Suburban guards travel in the middle because
of platform sighting difficulties on curved platforms, and intercity guards
travel at the end.

Seems kind of strange that this isn't a flexible arrangement, but i guess it
sort of is because on most late-night trains the guard and driver will
usually travel together with the back two cars (on a 4-car set) locked up.
Makes late-night train operation soooo much easier like that.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport