Re: Annualised Salaries

In <_3nN2.1457$MB3.2572@newsfeeds.bigpond.com> "Paul Pickford" <brougham@bigpond.com> writes:

>Annualised salaries are proposed at my work, for a new workplace agreement.
>Do any rail workers in Australia work this way, what are they and what are
>the pros and cons?

I think what the term means is a salary package that's calculated to be the
'average' of what people doing the same work as you would earn in an
'average' year. A bit like FreightCorps's aggregate wage which was the main
feature of their recent EBA, but instead of working out an hourly rate which
is equivalent to the 'average', you'll get a yearly figure with a fixed
ammount paid each pay period.

I'm not sure how overtime, etc. comes into it, but I would assume that it'd
be paid in a similar way to how it is now, except there are probably no or
few penalty rates, shift allowances, etc. since the point of the new models
is to eliminate those extra payments and 'mould' them into the standard
payment.

I know that CityRail is trying to push that through for us (CityRail train
crews), but I'm not sure if they'll adopt the aggregate wage model or the
annualised salary model.

Both have their good and bad points. You should talk to your union rep, or
workplace spokesperson, to get info about them.

Any comments from other people?

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport