Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

David Langley wrote in message <3729AA8D.8D7D8681@ancc.com.au>...
>Tony Gatt wrote:
>
>> Michael Walker wrote:
>>

>> > Is this correct? I don't recall the Altona line ever being closed.
>
>> It is correct!
>>
>> The Altona line was closed to traffic (dates unknown) and reopened with
the
>> extensition to Westona, which was the extended to Laverton.
>>
>> Buses sort of replaced the service..
>
>I do not believe that the line was closed. A peak hour service M-F operated
but
>no other trains, buses inlieu.

I remember that after the evening peak they ran the 415 bus from North
Williamstown (normal day route too) in lieu of the train, I seem to vaguely
recall a short period when they beefed it up during the day too - possibly
to replace the train, I shall have a hunt through my timetables and see what
I can find.