Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

Michael Walker wrote:

> >Early 80's as far as i know - i am not too sure myself, being born only in
> >1979 myself. I think Mobiltown was closed at the same time the then Altona
> >line was closed. AFAIK, upon reopening of the Altona line (with the
> >Altona-Westona-Laverton extension) in the mid 80's i think,
>
> Is this correct? I don't recall the Altona line ever being closed. Indeed
> the Melbourne rail map I have says that Altona opened 1-12-1917 as Altona
> Beach and was renamed Altona 3-10-1938. Westona opened 21-1-85 and the link
> Westona-Laverton opened 14-4-85. Indeed I have the intermediate timetables
> somewhere of before Westona, after Westona and after the full extension
> opened.

It is correct!

The Altona line was closed to traffic (dates unknown) and reopened with the
extensition to Westona, which was the extended to Laverton.

Buses sort of replaced the service..

--
Thanks, Tony.

            Please Note: NEW LOCATION
     Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
------>> http://www.railpage.org.au/railpix