Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

count_chivas@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Right then, I dont know if this has been covered before but here goes anyway.
> Can anyone tell me the relevance of General Motors station (on the Pakenham
> line)

General Motors, was named after General Motors (The company) who has a big
manufacturing plant just next to the station. It is now of course Holden, but the
station name remains the same. General motors serves the factory only (Mon to
Fri) with V/Line and Bayside services stopping there at the start and ends of
shifts (About 0700 and 1500, I say about, because these are only approximate...).
I think that there are about 6 up and 5 down services stop there a day. For the
present government to have kept it, it must have a fairly high passenger
turnover, although I have never seen it in action. *mental note - go and see
General Motors in action before Bayside close it*

> And my other question is why did Stopping Place #15 lose that groovy name and
> become Moradoo.. political correctness? BAH!

Hear, Hear. Stopping Place Number 15 was a groovy name. It also had a very long
name for a very short station, when the up Stony Pt Pass stops there (2 MTH cars
and a loco, usually an A class), the front of the train is over the level
crossing on the up side of the station. I suppose, by rights, it's new nam (if it
needed one) could have been Crib Point North or even better, Crib Point Cemetery
(next door). How would you be saying "My home station is Crib Point Cemetery"
Better than Moradoo...

Sam Eades