Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

Jennifer Richmond <richmond@melbpc.org.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>count_chivas@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> Right then, I dont know if this has been covered before but here goes anyway.
>> Can anyone tell me the relevance of General Motors station (on the Pakenham
>> line)
>
>General Motors, was named after General Motors (The company) who has a big
>manufacturing plant just next to the station. It is now of course Holden, but the
>station name remains the same. General motors serves the factory only (Mon to
>Fri) with V/Line and Bayside services stopping there at the start and ends of
>shifts (About 0700 and 1500, I say about, because these are only approximate...).
>I think that there are about 6 up and 5 down services stop there a day. For the
>present government to have kept it, it must have a fairly high passenger
>turnover, although I have never seen it in action. *mental note - go and see
>General Motors in action before Bayside close it*

I think you will find that the GMH site is now half of what it was. A
new warehouse has been completed on what was the Toyota site that will
house the Holden Spare Parts Ordering centre, from there, spare parts
are sent all over the world. I believe that no manufacturing is
carried out any more at the Dandenong site.

The old warehouse has been sold, I believe, and will most likely be
pulled down - carefully. The roof is made of asbestos.

>> And my other question is why did Stopping Place #15 lose that groovy name and
>> become Moradoo.. political correctness? BAH!
>
>Hear, Hear. Stopping Place Number 15 was a groovy name. It also had a very long
>name for a very short station, when the up Stony Pt Pass stops there (2 MTH cars
>and a loco, usually an A class), the front of the train is over the level
>crossing on the up side of the station. I suppose, by rights, it's new nam (if it
>needed one) could have been Crib Point North or even better, Crib Point Cemetery
>(next door). How would you be saying "My home station is Crib Point Cemetery"
>Better than Moradoo...

Then try saying your suburb is "Stopping Place Number 15". It'll make
it sound like a stop on a pub-crawl.

Les Brown