Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

Jennifer Richmond wrote:

> General Motors, was named after General Motors (The company) who has a big
> manufacturing plant just next to the station. It is now of course Holden, but the
> station name remains the same. General motors serves the factory only (Mon to
> Fri) with V/Line and Bayside services stopping there at the start and ends of
> shifts (About 0700 and 1500, I say about, because these are only approximate...).
> I think that there are about 6 up and 5 down services stop there a day. For the
> present government to have kept it, it must have a fairly high passenger
> turnover, although I have never seen it in action. *mental note - go and see
> General Motors in action before Bayside close it*

NOT SO FAST!  Take a look on the Up side of General Motors station and you will
see that Australia Post is in the final stages of construction of a massive mail
sorting centre - right adjacent to the station.  This centre which will replace
all but two of the other mail sorting centres in Melbourne and which is due to
open at the start of July (ie only 2 months away) will have a staff of over
1000, and would have to be a generator of some traffic.  In fact I wouldn't be
surprised to see some additional trains tabled to stop there in the upcoming
timetable to meet this need.