Re: Second rate Melbourne stations

Jennifer Richmond <richmond@melbpc.org.au> drunkenly burbled
in a corner of their mind:

>count_chivas@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> Right then, I dont know if this has been covered before but here goes anyway.
>> Can anyone tell me the relevance of General Motors station (on the Pakenham
>> line)
>
>General Motors, was named after General Motors (The company) who has a big
>manufacturing plant just next to the station. It is now of course Holden, but the
>station name remains the same. General motors serves the factory only (Mon to
>Fri) with V/Line and Bayside services stopping there at the start and ends of
>shifts (About 0700 and 1500, I say about, because these are only approximate...).
>I think that there are about 6 up and 5 down services stop there a day. For the
>present government to have kept it, it must have a fairly high passenger
>turnover, although I have never seen it in action. *mental note - go and see
>General Motors in action before Bayside close it*

{SNIP}

The factory may be going, going, gone but a high density,
"exclusive"  housing estate is planned for the adjoining
area (right in downtown Doveton, I think not), also a number
of factories are springing up (e.g an Australia Post
distribution centre) in the nearby vicinity.

Also, if there way any sort of connecting road/bike path to
the Princes Hwy, then there may be a new source of customers
to use the station. Also, a number of bus routes (eg 792,
793) run along the Princes Hwy at this point, that could
also make deviations to/from this station.

I would imagine that with a little platform development, and
increasing nearby building developments, it will be a
regular suburban station in a the very near future. (1~2
years?).

(Also Cranbourne station is being redeveloped as we speak in
to a Premium Station. Does anyone have any pictures?)

Brendan Searle

(Pure conjecture all of this of course. This planning more
than a single election cycle in length and therefore is too
long term to ever get off the ground. :-))

My name's not bob and I don't have a hotmail account so try
replying to drew_carey maybe at bigpond.com