Re: Interstate Platform at Seymour

In article <C1dU2.6$Lg2.468878@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: Interstate Platform at Seymour
>Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 05:55:46 GMT

>Krel (krel4203@netconnect.com.au) wrote:
>> I was just mentioning that The Rock's platform is, in fact, relatively
>> long. I agree with you that CountryLink seems to ignore Seymour (they
>> Seeless). CL seems only interested in getting NSW people to/from
>> Melbourne. Given, however, that the XPT stops at both Benalla and
>> Wangaratta a stop in Seymour would make sense.

>In that case, so would Euroa and Wodonga. By that stage you're taking up a
>lot of time with stops and you lose the express advantage. Anybody
>remember what the X in XPT is supposed to stand for? :)

>Cheers
>David

Yes the real issue is basically who owns the train.
Its in reality a NSW train that just happens to run in Victoria.
Back in the days when we had real trains on the SG , ie the SOP,Daylight and
Aurora , it was only the SOP that stopped at Benalla & Wang , the SOP being a
Victorian owned train.
Neither of the other two did.
Its a bit hard to argue that the NSW Govt is obliged to provide s train
service to country Victoria.
I must admit Im quite surprised that the XPT still stops at Wang and Benalla.
The simplest fix of all is to simply run all the Albury pass trains on SG with
then going as far as Wagga,with a guaranteed connection with the XPT ,at
Wagga or  Albury..
That way the XPT can run non stop Wagga to Albury and Albury to  Melb .
Everyone wins , better customer base for all concerned,and more income to ARTC
which would provide incentive to upgrade the rest of the Vic SG to 60
kg/m and raise the speed limit  to 160 km/h for all passes.
This would need about 4 N sets converted to SG and 4 Ns converted.

Comments ?
MD