Re: Safeworking!

John Duncan McCallum wrote:

> I may be wrong, but I think Port Augusta to Port Pirie (Solomontown) was
> worked by
> electric staff. All crossing loops on this section had relatively large
> Station
> buildings, which appeared to contain a locked room. AFAI can remember,
> all trains
> stopped at each loop for safeworking purposes.
> It may have changed now, but the last ES section was Spencer Junction -
> Port Augusta.
>
> John McCallum

I don't remember that station buildings but it was certainly ES of the miniature
variety using S type instruments. The last section of ES was in fact 2 sections -
Stirling North-Port Augusta-Spencer Jcn. Stirling North signal box McKenzie &
Holland frame and somersault signals was replaced by a relay interlocking worked by
a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller with override facilities from Train Control
PA.) at the same time and PA - Spencer Junction became yard working.

David Langley.