Re: Safeworking!

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:23:15 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
wrote:

>> Railways [and Truckers, for that matter] cant work without Safe working .
>> The ideal safe working  system is automatic, that is it does not rely on
>> people to pass an object to a train crew, ever!
>> The train should never be slowed or stopped, just to pass on some mystical
>> object so that the Driver may waste litres of fuel and brake blocks just to
>> stop and then return to his cruising speed.
>
>Of course, that's why we used mechanical staff exchangers on lines where slowing
>long heavy trains for staff exchanges was impracticable. Now we don't have
>anyone on the ground. Economies I think.

Modern locomotives are not equipped with staff exchangers and I don't
think you will see them back. They need two person crews for a start -
one to operate the exchanger and one to drive the train.

>> ASW was the answer

>> My only real objection to it, was that it caused too many things to happen
>> in front of me, too quickly and I never really felt  truly at home with it,
>
>Yeah. Ask the drivers involved at Emu. What controls did you have when the
>system went down - as all computers are liable to do ......  The emergency train
>order working let them down because of the train controller appearing to
>overlook the other train.

Basically Emu was caused by the ability of the train controller to
access security codes to reset the system without any input from the
train crews. He thought that one train had left the section and reset
to permit another train an authority.
Nowadays this is prevented by only the driver having the codes for
each authority. If the train controller needs a reset he has to ask
the train crew for the codes.

Normal operation is full electronic but when, for some reason,
authorities cannot be transmitted electronically we revert to
'electronic manual' authorities. Under this system the computer
generates the authority which is then verbally transmitted to the
train crew by radio (or phone). The train controller dictates the
authority (including codes) which the driver writes onto a pre-printed
form. Once the driver has 'repeated back OK' the display on the train
controllers workstation will show the authority but not the codes. It
is a hanging offence for the train controller to write down the codes
while dictating this information to the driver. When the train has
exited the section the driver dictates the codes back to the train
controller so he can 'unlock' the section.

>Not theirs to own and hence to complete I would suggest. Unless some of that
>$163m was to pay for it. If it was, then that will be why Uncle Ed didn't bother
>trying to match the bid. He wouldn't be interested in Section Authority Working.
>New Zealand Track Warrants - issued in conjunction with a computer - are ideal
>and are very similar to the Train Orders now being issued out west of Port
>Pirie. The only difference is that over in SA the trains don't stop to receive
>them. But you do have to have at least a crew of two.

DOO trains run between Port Augusta and Whyalla regularly. I believe
that this is operated under Train Orders.

>> Today the railways have a problem with warehousing, or I should say the lack
>> of it. Most large manufacturers
>> use a system of just in time delivery of parts required for each days
>> manufacturing.

TransRail in NZ have just opened a Bl**dy big warehouse (aka goods
shed) in Christchurch for this very traffic.

>> Many new Manufacturers are again building small warehouses, and Rail will
>> pick up this business...by using door to door containers, and road railers,
>> or something like it.
>
>Is this is a sign of the rat race slowing slightly. I hope so.

Someone famous once said "the rat race is over - the rats won";-)
Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.