Re: Safeworking!

Krel wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:23:15 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >> Railways [and Truckers, for that matter] cant work without Safe working .
> >> The ideal safe working  system is automatic, that is it does not rely on
> >> people to pass an object to a train crew, ever!
> >> The train should never be slowed or stopped, just to pass on some mystical
> >> object so that the Driver may waste litres of fuel and brake blocks just to
> >> stop and then return to his cruising speed.
> >
> >Of course, that's why we used mechanical staff exchangers on lines where slowing
> >long heavy trains for staff exchanges was impracticable. Now we don't have
> >anyone on the ground. Economies I think.
> >
> Modern locomotives are not equipped with staff exchangers and I don't
> think you will see them back. They need two person crews for a start -
> one to operate the exchanger and one to drive the train.

I agree.

> >> ASW was the answer
>
> >> My only real objection to it, was that it caused too many things to happen
> >> in front of me, too quickly and I never really felt  truly at home with it,
> >
> >Yeah. Ask the drivers involved at Emu. What controls did you have when the
> >system went down - as all computers are liable to do ......  The emergency train
> >order working let them down because of the train controller appearing to
> >overlook the other train.
> >
> Basically Emu was caused by the ability of the train controller to
> access security codes to reset the system without any input from the
> train crews. He thought that one train had left the section and reset
> to permit another train an authority.

I understood that the second train was issued a standard train order which at that
time was the emergency system but then I have never seen a report on the matter. Did
it ever get published?

> >Pirie. The only difference is that over in SA the trains don't stop to receive
> >them. But you do have to have at least a crew of two.
> >

> DOO trains run between Port Augusta and Whyalla regularly. I believe
> that this is operated under Train Orders.

Yeah but they don't get them on the run.

> >> Today the railways have a problem with warehousing, or I should say the lack
> >> of it. Most large manufacturers
> >> use a system of just in time delivery of parts required for each days
> >> manufacturing.
>
> TransRail in NZ have just opened a Bl**dy big warehouse (aka goods
> shed) in Christchurch for this very traffic.

Yes have seen it in construction. Very impressive. I never wrote the original
comment. And this is where I declare my allegiance - having seen what is happening in
NZ, I'm a fan of Uncle Ed.

> >> Many new Manufacturers are again building small warehouses, and Rail will
> >> pick up this business...by using door to door containers, and road railers,
> >> or something like it.
> >
> >Is this is a sign of the rat race slowing slightly. I hope so.
>
> Someone famous once said "the rat race is over - the rats won";-)

Saw some rats celebrating in the pub the other day.

DEL.