Re: Safeworking!

Rufus wrote:

> Railways [and Truckers, for that matter] cant work without Safe working .
> The ideal safe working  system is automatic, that is it does not rely on
> people to pass an object to a train crew, ever!
> The train should never be slowed or stopped, just to pass on some mystical
> object so that the Driver may waste litres of fuel and brake blocks just to
> stop and then return to his cruising speed.

Of course, that's why we used mechanical staff exchangers on lines where slowing
long heavy trains for staff exchanges was impracticable. Now we don't have
anyone on the ground. Economies I think.

> ASW was the answer, and had it been developed and operated by people who had
> the ability and the need to complete this project, instead of treating it as
> a gravy train and ripping the system off for everything it was worth,  would
> have been a cheap, safe alternative to all Safe working  Systems used in
> Victoria today.

Of course are FV going to pay the license fee to the PTC who after all developed
it as a commercial venture. It was going to be the modern safeworking system for
the 21st century and developed right here in Victoria. Well if it was so good
how come the world isn't knocking on our door to buy it.

> My only real objection to it, was that it caused too many things to happen
> in front of me, too quickly and I never really felt  truly at home with it,

Yeah. Ask the drivers involved at Emu. What controls did you have when the
system went down - as all computers are liable to do ......  The emergency train
order working let them down because of the train controller appearing to
overlook the other train.

> My only usage of it was on a Sprinter returning via Geelong from Ballarat.
> These trips [numbered about 12] were spread over 15 months and I am guessing
> the Ballarat Drivers who did it all the time were more comfortable with it.
> I believe Freight Victoria will scrap this system, as the necessary money is
> not available to complete the project.

Not theirs to own and hence to complete I would suggest. Unless some of that
$163m was to pay for it. If it was, then that will be why Uncle Ed didn't bother
trying to match the bid. He wouldn't be interested in Section Authority Working.
New Zealand Track Warrants - issued in conjunction with a computer - are ideal
and are very similar to the Train Orders now being issued out west of Port
Pirie. The only difference is that over in SA the trains don't stop to receive
them. But you do have to have at least a crew of two.

> Freight Victoria may be forced to
> return to Staff and Ticket and E.S. But not because they want to!
> These old fashioned systems will do what they were  intended for, keep
> trains safe, but they will stop trains from competing with the
> Truckers...Lets face it the majority, break every rule in the book, live on
> drugs, run
> illegal long hours,

Pay the politicians and police.

> and can connect door to door!
> Today the railways have a problem with warehousing, or I should say the lack
> of it. Most large manufacturers
> use a system of just in time delivery of parts required for each days
> manufacturing.
> Ten trucks leave Adelaide with loads for Ford, One crashes at Murray Bridge,

And takes with it innocent motorists in the car going the other way. Or runs
into a bus (but then again .......)

> One falls foul of the Law and Eight arrive on time at Ford, small problem,
> but a backup truck might arrive later on to make up for the lost loads. On
> the other hand the parts could be sent by TNT in their 40 ft vans, by rail.
> They will get to Broadmeadows on time 99 % of the time, but that one time
> they dont, because of accident, washaway or strike, the whole shipment is
> seriously delayed or lost. Ford refuse to tolerate this, even though
> annually they know they will lose 4 times more on the road for all these
> reasons.
> Many new Manufacturers are again building small warehouses, and Rail will
> pick up this business...by using door to door containers, and road railers,
> or something like it.

Is this is a sign of the rat race slowing slightly. I hope so.
If the race is run at an ever increasing pace then will probably all fly of into
space and never return.

> We are more reliable, our goods arrive in better condition, and now with the
> new rates being offered by Freight Victoria, we are much cheaper! Companies,
> with one or two days stock in Ware house are not as time orientated and will
> use rail.
> As we build up our tonnage in Victoria, we will dump old safe working
> systems and good bloody riddance!

Your opinion. But old safeworking systems will NOT stop you building up traffic
in Victoria.

> Rod ;o)

DEL