Re: ¡ÚWHY NOT FLY INSTEAD?f¡Ú

David Proctor wrote:

snip

> I do not think that anyone seriously suggests that train travel is a serious
> option for those who *need* to travel - it is more an option for those who
> *have* to or *want* to travel, and this is mainly die to timetabling, etc.
>
> DaveP

It depends on distance - air travel is only a serious contender for journeys
over say 150km.  (Look at Sydney-Newcastle for an example of this bottom end -
rail beats air in patronage).  Rail travel is a leader for peak hour trips in
metropolitan areas up to say 40km - even more so for shorter distances.  It is
also as you say an option for those who want to "travel" longer distances - or
perhaps more correctly those who want to enjoy a "journey".