Re: End of Train Devices

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:22:20 +1000, "bazt" <bazt@tpgi.com.au> wrote:

>Hi
>Can any one tell me what end of train devices are being used around Aus
>and what functions they are capable of.

On the SG interstate network a flashing red light and reflector except
between Newport and Pyrenees Loop in Victoria where the safe/working
system requires a positive end of train indication. VLF trains over
this area use ETAS (end of train air system) which indicates in the
loco cab the brake pipe pressure at the rear and whether this pressure
is rising or falling or steady.
NRC trains over this area use Digitair SBUs (sense and brake units).
These indicate brake pipe pressure at the rear and battery condition,
marker (tail) light on/off, rear end moving/stopped, radio system
integrity. An alarm sounds if rear pressure falls below 425 kPa. These
units are two-way, ie you can dump the air from the rear of the train
at the flick of a switch in the loco cab. The use of these units on
NRC trains is gradually being extended to eventually become
systemwide.

The flashing red and reflector has some variation depending on which
state you are in. In WA there are two independent lights and one
reflector, QR used to have a large frame that held the light out the
side of the last vehicle so train crew could see the small white
indictors flashing from the front, I am not sure if this still hapens.

 NRC trains carry an emergency tail light which consists of two
bicycle tail lights mounted in a reflector and powered by AA
batteries.
Most NSW tail lights require a piece of wire to be inserted into hole
to turn them on. Most Victorian lights have a toggle switch and a
light sensor so only turn on when it is dark, they also have a small
'low battery' light which illuminates when the battery is low but is
only visible from the rear of the train.
In Victoria some ETMs have a 'duck bill' which is a rectangular orange
box attachedto them which contains a magnetic coil to trigger lineside
transponders. In some  train order territories thes are used to
provide some local (end to end) radio broadcasts to indicate train
arrival/departure complete, etc.

Someone else may be able to add more.

Cheers

Krel