Re: All-over advertising trams (Melb)

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> : > (not including the prototype 1040)
>
> : 1041 is the tram to which you refer. It was not a W. It was a PCC. 1040
> : was the last W7 ever built, in 1956.
>
> Don't forget the bogies, and motors were taken for the orginal PCC car
> which was 980. (with a modified W5 body).

I have not forgotten.

I was there when 1041 was built. At the time I knew its builder, Ken
Hall, fairly well. I went on 1041's first run, to East Preston on a
balmy Sunday in 1973. I still have dozens of photos I took that day.

The trucks of 1041 came from 980. The electrical equipment was from ACEC
in Belgium. The hard graft to build 1041 and thus the later Zs  was by
Ken Hall (who was chief engineer of the MMTB), whom I credit only second
to Major General Risson with saving and reviving the Melbourne tramway
system.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand