Re: Newport crash

On 16 Nov 1998 04:56:06 GMT, David Hoadley
<s8400157@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

>Stuart Thyer <sthyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>> In article <72o69i$p72$1@aggedor.rmit.edu.au>, David Hoadley
>> <s8400157@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> This suggests to me that it was a down Williamstown shuttle entering
>>> Newport platform 2 from the yard, rear-ending the departing Werribee
>>> train. But this seems so unlikely, because it requires the driver to
>>> continue driving into a highly visible stationary train at low speed for
>>> some time. (Weather here in Williamstown is cloudless and bright today).
>>> [...]
>
>> As far as possibilities go, the Willy shuttle rear ending the Werribee is
>> most possible as it is a signallable manouver to let the shuttle into the
>> platform behind the werribee.

My poor NSW-trained brain has always had difficulties with the
operations at Newport. The mainline down spark (emu?) arrives and
stops at the down platform. The points move & the shunt signal (dwarf)
clears to yellow and the 3 car Willy shuttle moves out of the siding
and along the occupied platform. As the Werribee departs the Willy
chases it down the platform. Some driver seem to try to get as close
as possible to the departing train.

This is not rare. I see it often as my interstate freight train sneaks
around the back of the sidings and squeezes past the rear of the
service station.

At first glance it would appear the the Willy was faster than the
Werribee but we really should wait and see what the inquiry produces.

Cheers

Krel

>> Hot off the press, it was as described above, minor injuries, the trains
>> have been cleared and everything is running again.
>
>I have just been out on the bike to Newport. 3 car Comeng is in the yard
>being examined. 337M, on the down end of the train looks a bit sad. The
>yellow painted fibreglass edging has been crushed all round, driver's side
>window seems to have a crack or two, other window gone, I think. Coupler
>was hanging at 45 degrees down.
>
>So it does look as though the collision was pretty much square-on,
>consistent with this train rear-ending the down Werribee before it had
>left Newport platform 2. The only other alternative, (which Stuart has
>ruled out) is the up Werribee rear-ending the up Willi-Newport at
>platform 1, but I would expect more damage from that, let alone all the
>other questions such a collision would raise.
>
>Regards,
>David.
>David Hoadley                       Internet: s8400157@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au
>Electrical Engineering, RMIT
>Melbourne, Australia                Ph: +61 3 9925 4847, Fax: +61 3 9925 2007

All's well that ends.