Re: Newport crash

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote:
> Heard on the news that two trains collided at newp[ort just after noon
> today. 18 reported to have minor injuries. Any more details?

2 pm bulletin said that a down Werribee was hit by a Newport-Williamstown
shuttle. Report also said one of the two trains was empty, and that the
Willi shuttle was going very slowly.

This suggests to me that it was a down Williamstown shuttle entering
Newport platform 2 from the yard, rear-ending the departing Werribee
train. But this seems so unlikely, because it requires the driver to
continue driving into a highly visible stationary train at low speed for
some time. (Weather here in Williamstown is cloudless and bright today).
More likely the report was not quite accurate. Other possibilities are
down Werribee meeting up Willi-Newport at junction, which seems pretty
unlikely to me, or an up Werribee leaving platform 1 meeting down
Willi leaving yard. Curious.
David.
David Hoadley                       Internet: s8400157@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au
Electrical Engineering, RMIT
Melbourne, Australia                Ph: +61 3 9925 4847, Fax: +61 3 9925 2007