Re: False Information/Faulty Displays (Was: Re: Metcard)

Michael <#NOSPAM#simcard@comcen.com.au> wrote in message
<35134e2a.0@nexus.comcen.com.au>...
>In article <6eqvor$he9$1@eplet.mira.net.au>, reuben@mira.nocrap.net says...
>
><snip>
>
>>I've also noticed that the Met TV screens have been pretty inaccurate
>>lately - an example of this today was what was advertised at Camberwell as
>>the 2:36pm Express to Richmond train, except that it stopped all stations
>>except East Richmond (which made it worse if people had made the
assumption
>>that the stops all stations train was early!).  When we got to Glenferrie
>>though, the stops all stations train wasn't due to arrive for another
three
>>mins   Loads of people piled on anyway though :)
>>
>>Is this some sort of mistake on the part of the Met (or Met train driver)
or
>>is it standard procedure to disregard the advertised schedules?
>>
>>Reuben
>
>This morning the whole system appeared to be completely stuffed in
Melbourne.
>(saturday march 21). At Flinders St, most of the displays were not
displaying
>anything... after 10 minutes waiting for my train on platform 5, i was
informed
>via an announcement that my train would be departing from platform 10
instead
>(6:19am Broadmeadows). At North Melbourne the display read "JACANA
(departing 3
>mins)". Firstly Jacana as far as i have seen does not have a set of points,
and
>is only one station before broadmeadows, secondly the train left while it
still
>displayed "departing 3 mins" and the man doing the announcement did mention
>broadmeadows. Bad luck for people who didnt hear him. or was expecting the
>train to come after it had left the station.

This happens at Camberwell a lot when the Alamein shuttle comes in. The PIDS
displays 3 minutes to departure but the train leaves because it is actually
the right time to leave. Surely its got something to do with the countdown
function which must be stuffed!

Also happens at City Loop stations in the mornings... often u get the train
leaving with the display still saying 3 mins.

cheers
Johann