Metcard

Those little Red buttons (Emergency Open) near the Metcard barriers work like
this:

If you push the red button all barriers connected are opened and the green
arrows (or crosses if they use them) go off.  So in fact the barriers are off.
To re-start the system you turn the red button 1/4 turn clockwise and that is
it.  I have seen people do this at Flinders Street in the Subway.  I wanted to
go through the gate so I reset the gate and Validated my ticket so I could get
out the barriers at Ringwood.

--

Chris Gordon
cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au