Re: Brisbane Light Rail Proposals

Garry R. Ford wrote:

> If Briztram doesn't go ahead it won't be because of the National/Liberal  State
> Government.
> It will because:
> (a) they lost government (Labor appears against it as its been National Policy
> for several years now);
> (b) the people of Brisbane don't want it;
> (c) the Howard Government refuses to accept it as our major Bi-centennial fund
> project;
> (d) private enterprise is not interested in being involved; or
> (e) there is a massive down-turn in economic performance meaning it can't be
> justified.

Hey, I thought you belonged to a private enterprise party. Why then do
you want someone else other than private enterprise to pay for the
BRiztram project?

Much as I would love to see trams return to Brisbane (and I hope they
do; they should never have been scrapped), if:

* the people of Brisbane don't want them;

* the taxpayers of the whole of Australia refuse to pay for them via the
Bicentennial/ Millenial fund or anything else;

or;

*private enterprise is not interested in funding and/or operating them;

then:

The Briztram proposal should not go ahead as it means it is not wanted
and would be economically unfeasible.

Dave McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand
and former resident of Brisbane (and Melbourne)