Re: New Hi Speed Train to replace prospector

In article <6mldsg$muj$3@gruvel.une.edu.au>, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>Maurie Daly (mauried@commslab.gov.au) wrote:
>> On the ABC news tonite 22/6 was a short article about a new hi speed (200
>> km/h) train to replace the prospector,between Perth & Kalgoorlie.
>> Included was a major upgrading of the SG line between Perth & Kalgoorlie,and
>> also , although no detail was given , a new signalling / safeworking system.
>> Are we talking here about yet another State specific safeworking system?
>> Anyone have any more details.

>WA transport minister Eric Charlton called it a "bullet train", and that
>there is nothing like it in Australia. Maybe he ought to visit Queensland.

>There is also mention of another new train to operate at 120km/h between
>Perth and Northam. Would this be narrow gauge?

>Cheers
>David

I recently came back from a holiday in WA and reports over there suggested
that the Perth - Northam Avonlink trains would be narrow gauge to enable the
trains to use Perth station instead of terminating in East Perth at the
interstate terminal.

John McCallum