Re: New Hi Speed Train to replace prospector

In article <6mldsg$muj$3@gruvel.une.edu.au>,
  dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

> Maurie Daly (mauried@commslab.gov.au) wrote:.
>
> > Can 200 km/h trains still use trackside signals or are we talking about cab
> > signalling.
>
> Trains operate at 200km/h in the UK with 4-aspect trackside signalling.
> This is to be increased to 6-aspect on the ECML and WCML for 225-250km/h
> running.
>
> Cheers
> David

As far as I was aware, trains in the UK are not permitted to operate above
200km/h unless cab signalling is fitted (which it isn't at present). As part
of the upgrading of the WCML, moving block radio transmission based cab
signalling will be installed by a GEC Alsthom / Siemens / Alcatel consortium,
however I hadn't heard of any upgrade plans for the ECML.

Rob

Sydney (Australia)