Re: New Hi Speed Train to replace prospector

Maurie Daly (mauried@commslab.gov.au) wrote:
> On the ABC news tonite 22/6 was a short article about a new hi speed (200
> km/h) train to replace the prospector,between Perth & Kalgoorlie.
> Included was a major upgrading of the SG line between Perth & Kalgoorlie,and
> also , although no detail was given , a new signalling / safeworking system.
> Are we talking here about yet another State specific safeworking system?
> Anyone have any more details.

WA transport minister Eric Charlton called it a "bullet train", and that
there is nothing like it in Australia. Maybe he ought to visit Queensland.

There is also mention of another new train to operate at 120km/h between
Perth and Northam. Would this be narrow gauge?

I would assume that both would be tilting trains. They'd be pretty silly
not to have active tilting if they want to improve running times in the
Avon Valley.

> Can 200 km/h trains still use trackside signals or are we talking about cab
> signalling.

Trains operate at 200km/h in the UK with 4-aspect trackside signalling.
This is to be increased to 6-aspect on the ECML and WCML for 225-250km/h
running.

Cheers
David