Re: New Hi Speed Train to replace prospector

On 23 Jun 1998 08:34:51 GMT, nldoncas@cobweb.com.au (Nic Doncaster)
wrote:

>telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) writes:
>> mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
>> >On the ABC news tonite 22/6 was a short article about a new hi speed (200
>> >km/h) train to replace the prospector,between Perth & Kalgoorlie.
>> >Included was a major upgrading of the SG line between Perth & Kalgoorlie,and
>> >also , although no detail was given , a new signalling / safeworking system.
>> >Are we talking here about yet another State specific safeworking system?
>> >Anyone have any more details.
>> >Can 200 km/h trains still use trackside signals or are we talking about cab
>> >signalling.
>>

>> There is something on the nose about this.
>>
>> ----Tell
>> Alice Springs NT
>

>Yes Tell, It smells like a brown nosing pollie who is trying to save his butt in
>the next election. Although I understand WAGRC has been considering it for a
>while anyways
>
>Nic
Well yes, that may be so.  The Minister for Transport is now known as
Eric "more roads" Charlton, because of his advocacy and support for
more freeways, road tunnels and widening of the Narrows Bridge.  Perth
already has more road pavement and is more car dependent than any
other city in Australia, and is only a little less car-dependent than
such cities as Los Angeles and Houston Tx.  His most recent largesse
towards the "Fix Australia, Fix the Roads" lobby was greeted here with
almost universal derision in the media and "Letters to the Editor" of
the local "West Australian" newspaper.  Even the Royal Automobile Club
was luke warm in its responses to Eric's enthusiasm to cover Perth
with bitumen.  Charlton's transport thinking is still locked solidly
in to the 50s and 60s.  Ho hum.  Ex Australis Occidentalis, nihil
novum!

PS Westrail *is* seriously thinking about this new "HST".  The
"Prospector" is getting old, and does need replacing.

Doug Clifford
Douglas CLIFFORD                   +61 8 9390 7006 h
PO Box 119                         +61 8 9324 6444 w
Kelmscott                          +61 8 9324 6400 fx
Western Australia         <cliffd@opera.iinet.net.au>
6991