Re: QR Moree extension

Craig Haber (albatross@harnessnet.com.au) wrote:
: David Bromage wrote:
: > It doesn't quite work that way, but you may be on the right track. With
: > 4000hp available up front, I don't see why NR/GSR couldn't add some
: > general freight to the train. I don't mean containers, but low profile box
: > vans suitable for 110km/h running.
:
: How about attaching the Trailerail vehicles to the rear of the pass?
: They're allowed 115km/h are they not?  Even if not, are they allowed the
: same max permissable speed as an NR class loco?

The problem is it may not be easy to load the RoadRailers at Spencer
Street. That's why box vans for parcels and "van goods" and refrigerated
vans for perishables would be better.

Amtrak recently tried attaching RoadRailers to its passenger trains, but
it was a dismal failure. They had to be loaded elsewhere and shunted into
the passenger terminals, delaying delivery.

Cheers
David