Re: QR Moree extension

Michael Walker (walker@hotkey.net.au) wrote:
>Based on that logic, I have an idea!
>Why not, to save time and money on a service run more as a public service
>than a profitable concern, attach the Overland cars to a Melbourne-Adelaide
>freight. They could go next to the loco for head end power if required and
>wouldn't cause as many problems with crosses and things. Indeed, attached to
>a superfreighter, it may well improve on the present timetable. 8^)

It doesn't quite work that way, but you may be on the right track. With
4000hp available up front, I don't see why NR/GSR couldn't add some
general freight to the train. I don't mean containers, but low profile box
vans suitable for 110km/h running. The best traffic would be parcels and
the other stuff which used to be carried as "van goods". Perishables are
also suitable, particularly as there is a power van attached.

"Economy air" freight would also be a market to cut into. Economy air
merely guarentees delivery to the destination airport by the next
afternoon. Melbourne to Adelaide is a route on which rail would be
compeditive with air for overnight freight.

The only thing to remember is it HAS to be run as a passenger train with
freight attached, not as a freight with some passenger cars down the back.
The technical term would be a limited through mixed. A good example is
Amtrak's Autotrain to Florida.

Cheers
David